Saturday, November 17, 2012

Thoughts of writing from a "Mashup of Law + Social Innovation + Design"

It was really exciting to read Nicole Skibola's blog post on her thoughts about our work on writing, in particular as it seems as her experience as a trained attorney and human rights practitioner, now involved in social innovation and design.

Here are some of her thoughts on writing:


"Reading this simple concept [about the reflecting mechanism of writing] was such a breath of fresh air to me as a professional rigorously trained in the written word, where deconstructing arguments, concepts and ideas are the heart of a legal training and practice. I have noted in my time as a management consultant the frustration I encounter with powerpoint decks. Yes, everyone likes a graphic interpretation or a flow chart, but far too often, we fail to develop ideas and strategic thought as we would if such concepts were encapsulated in the written word. (...)
In my current career transition, I spend a lot of time thinking of my value add as a trained attorney, admitted to the New York and the California bars. Law is indeed a trade, and unfortunately lawyers develop tunnel vision believing they are only capable of practicing law. What I have realized in the past few months is my incredible ability to play with the logic of a problem or an argument – to unroll each sub-issue, to glue them back together, zoom out and see the system, zoom in and attack the micro-issues that are throwing off the whole system’s equilibrium. I didn’t learn how to do this by thinking like a designer (though I do value the different approach to problems that designers offer). I took it by thinking first, outlining second and finally articulating a strong, extremely structured argument in writing.
Writing has become my life source in many ways – its how I deal with happiness and sadness, how I experiment with who I am and who I want to be professionally, and how I have thrived in all of my work places.  (...)"

1 comment:

  1. Beneficial endeavor. How to make simple ones review report publishing much easier? That dilemma may very well be essentially the most enquired involving learners who definitely are on the verge of generate a work report. We have a great deal of facts on-line on how to write down some sort of research report in addition to what exactly ways you should abide by for getting beneficial lots. Should i get more in relation to paper writing.

    ReplyDelete